Who pays when your condo leaks?

With so many condominium buildings dotting the South Florida landscape and with new towers going up – it’s important that every condo owner has comprehensive liability coverage. On occasion, your homeowner’s association (HOA) may provide this, but if you own the unit, then it's more than likely you’ll need to secure your own. And even if your HOA does provide coverage, make sure you review the terms carefully to fully understand what happens if a leak ever develops.


In the world of insurance claims, relatively few cases are cut and dry. A situation can escalate quickly in a condominium if a leak occurs and originates from another tenant’s unit. It’s hard to know exactly what to do when all of a sudden water makes it way into your home because it’s difficult to determine its origin.


Immediately file a claim

The first thing you should do no matter what is reach out to your insurance carrier and open up a claim. You may need to work with your HOA as well. Insurance claims become more complicated when multiple parties are in play and that’s why you need to start the process right away.


Work with an experienced property insurance attorney

Insurance claims and the potential for litigation can become a complex process, which can overwhelm even the savviest of homeowners. That’s why it’s important that you contact an experienced Miami property insurance law firm to help guide you through the process in order to maximize your claim.


Begin the investigation phase

Next your liability insurance carrier and your attorney will begin an investigation to determine fault. For example, if an upstairs neighbor left their water running, then they will be held primarily at fault. If the leak began inside the wall, your insurance company will investigate your HOA to see if it correctly maintained the plumbing fixtures over the years.


Be patient

With multiple party claims, it’s possible that it could take a while before you receive reimbursement for your damages. Be patient and work with your attorney.


Our experienced attorneys at Acle Law will walk you through the terms of your insurance policy and provide representation in any dispute in Florida where your insurer is denying, delaying or under-paying your claim. Call our Miami property insurance claim attorneys at Acle Law today at 305-447-4667 or visit Acle Law for a free consultation.