Top Miami Property Insurance Lawyers at Acle Law Answer Frequently Asked Questions about Property Damage Claims

Let’s face it – we all buy insurance hoping we will never need it, but when a situation arises and a claim needs to be filed, many are at a total loss about how to proceed. The following information from our Founding Partner Edward Acle should help answer some of your most basic questions and property damage insurance claims. If you have additional questions or need assistance filing a claim or resolving a dispute with your insurance carrier, call Acle Law at 305-447-4667 or visit for an absolutely free and confidential consultation.


What does a public adjuster do?

An insurance claim adjuster investigates a claim to determine whether coverage applies and the value of the claim. Insurance company adjusters and independent adjusters work for the insurance company and have the insurer’s interests in mind first. A Public Adjuster works for the policyholder and is committed to advocating on their behalf. A public adjuster will usually provide immediate assistance to help mitigate your loss, secure your claim, fulfill obligations under your policy, preserve evidence and guide you through the necessary steps in order to comply with your existing policy. A public adjuster also measures and documents your loss, but is uninfluenced by the insurance company’s profitability and will subsequently prepare and adjust your claim specifically on your behalf.


Do you need a public adjuster?

The short answer is typically yes. A public adjuster’s complete damage analysis can help you fully recover your losses. Public adjusters are expertly trained and since their fees are contingent on the amount of reimbursement you get from your carrier, public adjusters are motivated to obtain the most accurate, comprehensive and fastest recovery possible. If you rely solely on your insurance carrier’s adjuster, you run the serious risk of your claim being undervalued or underpaid. At Acle Law, we pride ourselves on working with some of the best public adjusters in the whole state of Florida.


Why do I need a Miami property insurance attorney?

A public adjuster can only do so much. An attorney, however, has all the legal tools and experience necessary to achieve the very best result for a client, which include litigating in court if necessary. Public adjusters are fully aware of what they can and cannot do, and when they are unable to achieve what they know to be a full or fair resolution, many times they will refer the case to us.


What should you do in the event of property loss?

As a policyholder, it’s vitally important that you keep current on your premium payments in order to maintain a valid policy in case you ever need it. In the event you do need to make a claim, it’s your responsibility to notify your carrier promptly about the loss and to cooperate with their investigation. Each policy is unique, but generally you’ll be required to do the following:


  • Provide prompt notice of loss to your insurer
  • Call the police if foul play is suspected or involved
  • Submit a signed, sworn proof of loss statement as required by your insurer
  • Give a description of the circumstances surrounding your loss
  • Prepare an inventory of damaged property
  • Take reasonable steps to mitigate the damage
  • Allow the insurer to inspect the property
  • Cooperate in any investigation
  • Keep the insurer informed of changed or other developments


What steps should you take before disaster strikes?

The first thing you should do is make sure you’ve purchased an adequate amount of insurance to cover your personal or business property. The next step is to create an accurate record of the property and items you are protecting, which may include taking pictures or video and making backups of important business records.


Just remember, our experienced attorneys at Acle Law will walk you through the terms of your insurance policy and provide representation in any dispute in Florida where your insurer is denying, delaying or under-paying your claim. Call our Miami property insurance claim attorneys at the Acle Law Firm today at 305-447-4667 or visit Acle Law for a free consultation.