Denied payment by your Florida homeowners insurance company? What can you do?

It’s been nearly a year since Hurricane Michael swept through the Florida panhandle and things are not getting any easier for homeowners. We saw it after Hurricane Irma in South Florida and following countless other storms that have rolled through our state. Homeowners are upset with undervalued settlement offers and in the case of Hurricane Michael; hundreds of complaints have been filed against insurance companies already. Many of those are related to denials.


If you have ever dealt with similar frustrations regarding a claim you’ve filed against your insurance carrier after a hurricane, a simple summer storm or a busted pipe in your home - you have several options including filing a formal complaint or seeking the help of a qualified Florida property insurance attorney. But what’s the right choice for you?


Filing a Formal Complaint

Your first thought when dealing with a denied or low settlement offer might be to file a formal complaint. However, that’s usually not the best option when seeking a resolution. Unfortunately, no one agency handles all insurance affairs for the state of Florida. Currently, that role is served by the Florida Department of Financial Services (DFS), which has 13 divisions, including the Florida Division of Consumer Services where your insurance complaint will be handled.


Complaints can be filed online, via email or over the phone. You’ll need to supply your insurance carrier name, policy number, claim number, contact info and a detailed description of your claim and dispute. What’s important to note is that DFS does not have the jurisdiction or the capabilities to assist you with you claim. They will essentially contact your carrier and ask for their position and then more than likely mark your claim resolved. You’ll then receive a letter from DFS informing you that your carrier has not changed its position and that your two options are to petition for DFS mediation or to consult a lawyer.


Seeking Help from a Miami Property Insurance Attorney

If your insurance claim is being denied, undervalued or delayed, an experienced Florida property insurance attorney will be able to review your policy, understand what you are covered for and be able to tell you if your claim has been wrongfully denied or underpaid. That’s exactly what we do at Acle Law. We will walk you through the terms of your insurance policy and provide representation in any dispute in Florida where your insurer is denying, delaying or under-paying your claim. Call our Miami property insurance claim attorneys at the Acle Law Firm today at 305-447-4667 or visit Acle Law for a free consultation.